The Couch Potato's
Sure, they LOOK healthier than you do.
but they don't know half as much as you will in ten minutes time
IF you aren't too tired to read this.
By Nick Nilsson
Impress your friends! Impress your family! These unique
training tidbits will improve your training, health and
nutrition knowledge instantly!
|1. Fit people tend to sweat more and sooner than unfit people. Their bodies are more efficient at cooling.|
2. When people start training as a result of a New Year's Resolution, 60% have quit by Valentine's Day.
3. If your workout clothes smell like ammonia after a workout, you're burning a lot of protein for fuel. Ammonia is a byproduct of protein metabolism. This is not a good thing, as burning protein means you may be burning your muscle tissue for energy instead of carbohydrates or bodyfat.
4. Men tend to overestimate their strength while women tend to underestimate their strength.
5. To determine if your scale is correct, set a dumbell or a weight plate on it. If the numbers don't match, try another weight and see if it's off by the same amount. Adjust your scale accordingly.
Travel the World, and get paid for it * Secrets of birding * Electronic Publishing * Essays
Family Essays * Freedom Essays * Helpful Articles * Humor * Inspirational Essays
Understanding the World of Insurance * Essays on Money * Resources for Writers
Social Essays * Free Software for Writers * The Native American World * War
Treasures for Kids * Novels to read online * The Almighty Dollar * Lin Stone
|6. Sometimes a barbell exercise causes pain while the dumbell version doesn't. This occurs most often with the bench press and the shoulder press. Dumbell don't lock your joints into a certain pattern of movement.|
7. There is no evidence to support the argument that machines are safer than free weights, according to studies.
8. More bodyparts overlap in upper body training than lower body training, giving legs more recovery time. That's why you may continue to progress in leg training while your upper body plateaus.
9. High-level endurance training (e.g. marathon training) reduces testosterone levels by 15 - 40%.
10. Eating post-workout carbohydrates and protein increases Growth Hormone levels.
11. Acclimation to exercising in the heat can take about 10 to 14 days. For each two days of not exercising in heat, one day of acclimation is lost.
12. There is an indirect effect on other muscles when you work a muscle. The bigger the muscle, the greater the carryover. This is one reason you should not neglect leg training as the largest muscles in the body are found in the legs and will have the greatest impact on the rest of your body.
13. The initial adaptation to weight training is neuromuscular (in the nervous system). Your muscles are basically learning how to fire efficiently. This is why beginning trainers are often very shaky when they first start lifting weights. Their muscles haven't learned how to activate properly.
14. Holding your breath during an exercise to temporarily increase intra-abdominal pressure is called the Valsalva maneuver. While it can be effective in temporarily increasing strength and stability, it can be very dangerous, especially if you have high blood pressure. It is, with few exceptions, better to breathe while lifting.
15. Training intensity is properly measured as a percentage of a person's One Rep Max (the most weight they can lift for a single rep). A high intensity means a high percentage. It is technically not a subjective measure of effort or facial expression.
16. The best performances in strength competitions are seen in the afternoon and early evening. This may be due to increased muscle temperature later in the day. A lower temperature may increase endurance however. Endurance training may therefore be more effective when done in the morning.
17. Shorter rest periods (less than 1 minute) will result in an increase in the hormones related to muscle growth. However, lower rest periods will result in decreased strength during your workout. You will get hypertrophy (muscle growth) at the expense of strength.
18. The intestine is the single largest receptor of Growth Hormone in the body. This is why people who take frequent Growth Hormone injections often have distended (bloated) abdomens. Natural levels of Growth Hormone don't result in this effect.
19. After a high volume of aerobic work, fast-twitch muscle fibers (the larger more powerful fibers) can act like slow-twitch muscle fibers (the smaller, more endurance-oriented fibers). This doesn't work the other way, though. If your goal is to gain muscle, decrease the frequency of your aerobic work. The converted fast-twitch muscles can revert to their original form after about 4 to 8 months of aerobic detraining.
|Is Your Hologram keeping track of you? |
Have you ever felt like you were the only one on earth that doesn't have your own web site? You can start your own web site and watch the money roll in. The truth is, making a web site is a whole lot easier than most people can imagine. If you want to make a regular passive income from your websites, this Google's Adsense program may be just exactly what you are looking for, but only if you use it right.
Free Scholarships for your young scholar. It takes hours online every day to update, research and verify all four thousand of the Scholarship offerings available. YOU can get all that information for FREE. The Scholarship Directory contains textually enhanced links to over 4,000 websites where you can register for all types of Scholarships and Grants for your children. Download the Directory for free, and while you're at it, take the time to register for a FREE Scholarship worth $10,000.00
Seven Smart Ways To Give Your Money Away Creatively. How many times have you just forked your money over as a gift and hoped it would mean something to the receiver? You were probably disappointed hundreds of times. Well here are seven ways to make that money look more valuable, and to show the other person that you really care.
It's a fact that food just tastes better when it is cooked outdoors. Now with 101 Camping & Outdoor Recipes, even campers who have never cooked anything more complicated than S'mores can make great meals and snacks over the campfire. You no longer need to sacrifice eating well just because you are not in your home kitchen.
Have you resolved to spend more time with your kids? Then let them join you in the kitchen, creating fun foods that they will love. Kids Fun Recipes is a collection of 120 simple and easy to follow recipes that kids of all ages will enjoy.
The Resale Rights Report that you can resell at $27 per copy is yours for free from Tale Wins software. The package comes complete with a polished, professional sales page. You KEEP every cent you bring in. Fill your own orders with the package we send when you click THIS link.
|20. The hormone Insulin signals the body that there is enough sugar in the blood to be burned for energy. This prevents the fat cells from releasing fat. The hormone Glucagon, which unlocks fat stores, can't be released when insulin is present.|
21. The number of fat cells in our body is predetermined by genetics, however, prolonged overfeeding can cause fat cells to split into more cells, especially during the teen years. The more you have, the more you have available to fill up and the greater your potential for obesity.
22. Men have about 18 times higher levels of testosterone than women. Men with higher natural testosterone levels gain muscle faster. People who have a harder time gaining muscle have lower testosterone levels.
23. The more deficient you are in vitamins and minerals the more of an effect you will notice from supplementation. Be careful not to overdo it and take too much though.
24. Strenuous exercise can double mineral loss. Increased sweating is a major cause of this.
25. Vitamin capsules are generally better than tablets as tablets can be compressed so hard as to be indigestible.
26. Minerals that enhance sleep, recovery, healing, regeneration and growth like zinc and magnesium should be taken on an empty stomach before bed. The body's maximum daily release of Growth Hormone occurs 90 minutes into sleep. Zinc and magnesium may increase the effects of G.H. and peak absorption of these minerals occurs after 90 minutes. Take 20-30 mg of zinc and 400-500mg of magnesium.
27. Sodium and calcium are removed via the same mechanism in the body therefore when you increase your sodium intake, your body strives to maintain balance by excreting more sodium. When 1 molecule of sodium goes, it takes a molecule of calcium with it. This can decrease bone mass in the long term. If you have osteoporosis or wish to prevent it, decrease your sodium intake.
28. Be careful what you eat grapefruit with. Naringin (an enzyme found in grapefruits - also called naringenin) may increase the power of some drugs. It deactivates enzymes in your stomach that normally break down drugs. When mixed with alcohol, test subjects ended up with four times more alcohol in the blood.
29. Canned grapefruit juice contains twice the naringin (see above) of fresh grapefruit.
30. Many people are overweight because they are malnourished. Their body craves nutrients so they are hungry. What they eat doesn't supply the nutrients they need so they are still hungry. Empty-calorie food is the culprit.
31. 20% of the calories in protein are used for digestion and assimilation. 8% of the calories of carbs are used. The number is only 2% for fat.
32. Alcohol acts as a direct toxin to type 2 fast-twitch fibers, though it doesn't affect slow twitch fibers much. It increases protein breakdown and decreases IGF-1 levels in blood and muscles.
33. Alcohol (even a little) before sleep inhibits Growth Hormone secretion by up to 75%.
34. Reduce your alcohol intake if you are interested in weight loss. One bottle of wine equals one six pack of beer. It can add 625 to 1100 calories to your diet. It is also very easily stored as fat.
35. Two bananas a day for a week can reduce blood pressure 10%, due to their high potassium content.
|The Skeeter Beater, by Lin Stone |
The First Romeo and the Last Juliet, by Earl H. Roberts
The Beebe Flea Market by Maggie Wood
Where in the World, by Maggie Wood
Buddha in the Bathtub by Earl H. Roberts
Fun With Misfired Words, part 1
Fun With Misfired Words, part 2
Fun With Misfired Words, part 3
Fun With Misfired Words, part 4
Fun With Misfired Words, part 5
Pearls from My Lips
Tales of the Broke and Famous.
A Google Addict
A man and his wife are soon parted.
The Dust Bunnies Are EVERYWHERE!
Body Building Inventions you haven't seen yet.
One unforgettable Sunday our church had a three-year- old preacher, an organist who could only play one song, an altercation involving the offering and a visiting beagle who knocked over the pulpit. It happened this way on . . One Unforgettable Sunday.
Light-Hearted Stories of Hope
Mortgage Loan Tips Why some people almost always get the lowest interest rate on their mortgage - for the least points - and NO Junk Fees!
About the Author: Nick Nilsson is Vice-President of the online personal training company BetterU, Inc. He has a degree in Physical Education and Psychology and has been inventing new training techniques for more than 16 years. Nick is the author of a number of bodybuilding eBooks including "Metabolic Surge - Rapid Fat Loss," "The Best Exercises You've Never Heard Of," "Gluteus to the Maximus - Build a Bigger Butt NOW!" and "The Best Abdominal Exercises You've Never Heard Of". Click HERE for more strength training information.
Nick can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org .