|This ad tracker script is licensed for your own personal use |
and only on a single domain.
Please note that anyone reverse engineering, copying or distributing this script (or any part thereof) is liable to criminal prosecution under international copyright laws.
The Terms And Conditions
In order to use this software, you must agree to a standard software liability disclaimer as follows:
This software is distributed "as is" and with no warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including and without limitation, any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. The user must assume the entire risk of using the software. In no event shall any individual, company or organization involved in any way in the development, sale or distribution of this software be liable for any damages whatsoever relating to the use, misuse, or inability to use this software (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, business interruption, loss of information, or any other loss). This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the England (United Kingdom). Exclusive jurisdiction and venue for all matters relating to this Agreement shall be in courts located in England, and you consent to such jurisdiction and venue.
Hosting Requirements For Ad Tracker Script
Like many other modern scripts, this Ad Tracker script requires your web host to support MySQL and PHP 4.3 (or above).
If you're not sure whether your current web host is suitable, simply email your hosting company the line above and ask if these features are supported.
Instructions for installing the script
To install your script, please follow the steps below.
1. Get an installation security code. This script is licensed for your own personal use and only on a single web site only. If you wish to run the script on multiple web sites, you should obtain a separate license for each one. You must register the domain name of the web site to get a special security code that will allow the script to run on that specific domain.
To register, click here. When you have your security code, you will need to paste it into the script config.php file (see step 4).
2. Create an SQL database with associated user name and password. The methods for creating SQL databases vary from host to host. If you are using a web host supporting Cpanel (used by most decent hosting companies), click here to view a video tutorial.
3. Unzip all the files into a folder on your PC called "info". You will use a folder of the same name on your web host to store the script - for example "http://www.mysite.com/info".
(You can use a different name for the folder if you wish).
4. Decide whether to use the "Attractive Link" feature. This creates tracking links like this
Using this feature requires you to know how to "chmod" a folder after you have uploaded the script to your web host. If you don't know how to do this, use the script without the "Attractive Link" feature. There is a tutorial below for how to do chmod with the very popular Smart FTP software.
5. Open the config.php file in a text editor (such as Notepad, provided free with Windows) and modify each of the variables to match your web host. There are instructions with each entry to help you.
6. Upload all the files into a folder called "info" on your web host. You can use any FTP program to do this. Make sure you upload all the .php files using ASCII mode and the image files using Binary mode (many FTP programs will do this for your automatically).
7. If you are using the "Attractive Link" feature, you must chmod the "info" folder to "777". Skip this step if you are not using the "Attractive Link" feature.
8. Run the createdb.php script - for example enter "http://www.mysite.com/info/createdb.php" into the URL field of your browser. You only need to run this once to create the SQL database table needed by the script. You will need to confirm your acceptance of the terms of using this script. The software should then report that the table was created successfully.
9. Test the script by creating an ad tracker and checking it works.
Your script is now ready to use. Good luck with your adverts!!
* * *
A Note On Ad Tracker Performance
The Ad Tracker script incorporates a special locking table designed to ensure that it never misses a click.
For the vast majority of users, the small overhead in doing this is not a problem.
If however you are putting very large amounts of traffic through the script and are finding that the script is not operating as fast as you would like, you can easily disable this feature.
Simply edit the config.php file and change the entry near the bottom from "locktab" to "".
This will improve the performance of the script. The only side-effect is that very occassionally, the ad tracker may fail to increment the click count.
It will still operate 100% as normal in every other respect (the visitor will still be redirected as normal and the sales tracking information will still be captured).
Backing Up Your Ad Tracker Database
Your Ad Tracker normally requires little administration once it has been set up, but you should regularly backup your SQL database in case of problems with your web host.
The methods for backing up an SQL database vary from host to host. Please consult your web hosting company for details of how to do this.
If you are using a web host that supports Cpanel (it is used by most decent hosting companies), you can backup as follows:
Visit the following link for a video tutorial - or read the description below for instructions.
Click Here For A Video Tutorial
Visit your sites Control Panel and select the "Backup My Site" option.
Under "Download a SQL DB Backup" you should see the name of your SQL database.
Click on the name and a standard Windows "File Download" dialog will appear allowing you to save the database onto your computer.
In the unlikely event that you need to restore it, simply use the "Restore an SQL DB" option (further down on the same page).
Using Smart FTP To Chmod
Smart FTP is one of the best FTP programs on the Internet, especially if you are installing scripts.
The software is currently free for personal use. You can download it by clicking here.
If you wish to use this software to chmod your "info" folder, proceed as follows:
Left-click on the "info" folder to highlight it. Then right-click and a pop-up menu will appear.
Now choose "CHMOD" and type in the number 777.
That's all there is to it!